- Contact Info
- Area Attractions
- Real Estate
- Business Directory
Zenda is located in southern Kingman County (KM) on highway K-42. The town sits between the highway on the south and grain elevators on the north.
Zenda Community Center is a multi-purpose facility. It houses a small, award-winning library; the Friendship Meals program for senior citizens; and a meeting room used by community groups. A spacious, well-maintained city park offers a tennis & basketball court and a picnic pavilion.
The paved road south out of Zenda winds its way through a surprisingly hilly and beautifully scenic route. A forest of wind turbines stretch along ridges spinning languidly in the Kansas breeze.
Originally known as Rochester, Kansas, the community was named after Rochester, Minnesota. It was settled in the mid-1880s but relocated in 1887 to its present position when the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe (AT&SF) railway came through. With the new location, the town was renamed New Rochester. As the United States became more connected through train, telegraph and mail service, the name Rochester in any form caused great confusion – 28 other communities across the country were using that name. The wife of a Santa Fe conductor had read the novel The Prisoner of Zenda and thought Zenda was a pretty name. The Post Office officially changed the name from New Rochester to Zenda on October 7, 1892. Zenda is on the old AT&SF branch line that ran to Englewood.
Over the years, Zenda had three newspapers:
· 1909-1977 Zenda Citizen
· 1923-1939 Zenda Headlight
· 1939-1941 Zenda Zephyr
Places to Visit
Zenda's Miniature Main Street 36-Model Building Display: Housed in a newly constructed building just west of the Museum, this work of art shows Zenda’s Main Street as it looked at the beginning of the 1900s. Each building is dollhouse-sized with the largest about 36" tall. The models--painstakingly crafted by Bonnie Bailey, Glenn Cocherell, Virginia McGuire, Lori Bohrer, and Betty Dirks--include photographs and information about each structure by the display. When observers stand at the end and look down Miniature Main Street, they are transported back in time. All that’s missing are the sound and the smell of horses.
Open by appointment only. Phone (620) 243-7365
Zenda Community Museum: Open by appointment only. Phone (620) 243-7365
The Zenda Jail: This tiny concrete box is located on the east side of Main Street across from The Lumber Yard Steakhouse. Iron floor rings were used to shackle prisoners and can still be seen.
Annual Event: Christmas Parade First Saturday in December starting at 1:30 PM
- All Day event September 2, 2017
- Farmers Market & Craft Fair Registration Form
- Prisoner of Zenda Fun Run & Walk Registration Form
City Council meets
- 7:00 PM
- Second Monday of the month
- City Hall
The Lumber Yard Steakhouse at 311 North Main is at home in the former Geo. W. Ultch Lumber Company building constructed in 1902. Beulah and Woodrow Graber and family opened a restaurant in the building in 1993. The old shelves hold antiques and other interesting objects; the racks that were constructed to hold nuts, bolts, and plumbing items embrace wine bottles; the old Mosler safe sits in its accustomed place. Saturday evening menus always offer a special treat. The Lumber Yard Steakhouse Contact Information:
- Phone: (620) 243-6000
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: lumberyardsteakhouse.com
- The Lumber Yard Steakhouse monthy menu is available by opening the file at the bottom of the page.
- Reservations suggested especially for the Seafood Buffet
Blasi Service, LLC sells packaged sandwiches, cold drinks and chips for a quick bite to eat.
- (620) 243-5571
- 212 North Main, Zenda, KS 67159
- (620) 243-5791
- 215 North Main, Zenda, KS 67159
- (620) 243-5421
- 406 North Main, Zenda, KS 67159
- (620) 243-5531
- 208 North Main, Zenda, KS 67159
St. John's Catholic Zenda Post Office United Methodist Church
Church Founded 1909 Founded 1907
|Latitude||37o 26’ 32” N|
|Longitude||98o 16’ 54” W|
|School District||USD 332|
Zenda City Park Pavilion
Zenda Community Center